Finding the Animator
How do I find out who did key animation for a certain scene in a show or movie? I think there is a Japanese wiki that tracks certain animators, right?
ehh1234 said:
How do I find out who did key animation for a certain scene in a show or movie? I think there is a Japanese wiki that tracks certain animators, right?
That would be the Sakuga Wiki, but it's in Japanese, and doesn't list everything:
http://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/
who adds to that wiki? how do the people who keep that wiki updated finding out the animator for certain scenes?
Theres a lot of ways from asking animators on twitter to checking episode credits and magazine interviews. This site is helpful if you wanna look through credits to see if an animator worked on a certain episode. Its also in japanese but thats what google translate is for. You can also use the search function by finding the shows name in kanji from ANN.
http://seesaawiki.jp/w/radioi_34/
mdanishu said:
who adds to that wiki? how do the people who keep that wiki updated finding out the animator for certain scenes?
As Daichi says there are many ways the users of the sakuga wiki find out.

Off the top of my head the following are often the sources:
1) Being mentioned in magazines and interviews, this includes artbooks and animation collections also extending to self published (doujinshi) magazines animators might sell at comiket. Also includes DVD extras of audio commentary.
2) Staff will talk about it on twitter (or their personal blogs). From animators saying "I did this" to others saying "This part was done by X" It can range from other animators on the show to directors, producers or even other artists who are fans of that specific animator's work.
3) Some animators have a distinct style so fans of their work can easily pin point their work with little need for confirmation. There are often cues in the way they draw smears, the timing of their action, the way they draw effects or even small things like how they draw fingers or ears can be tell tale signs of an animator's work.
4) Sometimes it's just a guess, an educated one mind you, but still a guess. Say X animator is known for drawing extravagant explosions, and they're credited to an episode but no one really knows what they did, then there's a strong chance their work was the explosion that appeared in the episode. This also ties into how the industry works in that certain animators are known for their talents on certain types of animation (mecha, explosions, action, character acting etc..) so if fans can spot that certain element an animator is known for then there's a chance it could be their work.
Today, I realized that recognizing animators by their styles for each cut won't work so I decided to give it a little advice here:
The ending credits of an episode often has various animators credited for their work. Identify them with your japanese knowledge and try to mark their names for each animated cut.